Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bumping Off the Blind Superhero: A Review of Daredevil - End of Days

So, I promised that I'd do this and it's taken me longer than I had hoped, but here we go.  Marvel recently published an eight-part mini-series starring the man without fear, Daredevil.  However, I think it "starring" might be an overstatement.

Daredevil: End of Days is the most recent effort by Marvel to break from the on-going series canon (though writer Brian Bendis asserts that this is part of the continuity) and jump to the end of the line for a given character.  Marvel has been doing this type of thing since the late 90's for various characters.  Sometimes the story takes the mini-series format, as it has with Daredevil, and sometimes the story is confined to a one-shot (single issue).

While the concept isn't new, Brian Bendis and David Mack take this story further than most "the end" stories go. The length of the mini-series (8 issues) is longer than most of Marvel's similar works.  Honestly, the length of the story appealed to me.  As I've said before, I like Daredevil and think that he's underrated by many readers.  Bendis and Mack took time to develop a solid story.

The story itself follows a complex series of twists.  I mentioned earlier that it may be a stretch to say that Daredevil "stars" in this mini-series.  While his name is on the cover, he's also dead before the middle of the first issue.

Not what one might expect of a title character
Daredevil's death, rather than serving as the culmination of the series, is the catalyst of the events that follow. The real focal point of the series is Daily Bugle reporter Ben Urich, one of a very few people who actually knew that Matt Murdock was Daredevil.  While Urich has played a key role in several of Marvel's titles and interacts with a number of superheroes, he's not really what one might expect as the lead character of a series.

Marvel's least likely hero (possibly excluding Squirrel Girl)
Urich's goal over the course of the series is to track down the meaning of Daredevil's last word: "Mapone."  In his efforts to discover the secret behind who or what "Mapone" is, Urich interacts with a variety of characters from the Daredevil comics.  His interviews with key figures from the Marvel universe provide the forward progress for much of the story line.  Personally, I found his interview with the Punisher to be a highlight in the series.  The further Urich gets in his search, the more mysterious things get.  While I don't want to spoil the storyline for you, let me assure you that Daredevil is not the only character to die in the End of Days storyline - he's merely the first.  As Urich digs deeper and the body count climbs, a new Daredevil emerges as well - one who tracks Ben and seems to watch over him as something of a guardian angel (or guardian devil).

The noir feel that the story takes on worked for me.  I've always enjoyed the "street-level" heroes and the true-crime feel that their stories tend to take on.  The mystery in Daredevil: End of Days sells the story. While I won't reveal it here, the revelations at the end of the series in issues 7 and 8 worked well and resolved the story in a satisfying way.  End of Days received extremely positive reviews and I agree with those wholeheartedly.  This mini-series doesn't require much background knowledge from the reader and serves as a solid stand-alone story.

The original run of the mini-series started in October of 2012 and ended in June of 2013, so issues should still be fairly available in most comic shops.  The entire series was also released as a graphic novel this month and is readily available both in stores and on-line.

As always, feel free to post your thoughts, especially if you've had a chance to read End of Days or if you want to discuss part of the story.

5 comments:

  1. Jason, you speak so knowledgeably about this topic. I like the way you hook us into this story without revealing too much about the mystery, Great links throughout this entry and terrific use of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason...this is awesome on so many levels! First off, as Mary stated, your knowledge of comic and characters is apparent, but what really interests me is your ability to write so people like me (by which I mean have no clue about comics and yet are not averted by them)can understand. Next, I'm surprised that the title character is killed so early in the series, and started a chain of events. This gets me thinking about people in our lifetime whose death spawned action (sorry, but I can't think of any right now-dang!).

    My reluctant reader genre is Mystery. Based on your blog it sounds like I might be able to add End of Days to my list...right?

    Are you planning on keeping this blog updated through the school year? I think I would have students interested in reading.

    Thanks Jason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely say this would fall into the mystery genre for you. It carries a noir feel throughout and kind of reminds me of the old hard-boiled detective stories.

      And yes, I'm planning to keep this blog rolling indefinitely or at least until Marvel sues me for image copyright infringement....

      Delete
    2. I should have though of this sooner, but if you're interested in graphic novel mysteries I would also highly recommend Powers which was originally put out by Image comics and later by Icon (an imprint of Marvel). Powers follows two police offices, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, as they investigate crimes in a world populated with both superhumans and regular people. I just re-read the first graphic novel in the original Powers series (there have been two or three different series of the title), which was called "Who Killed Retro Girl?" It's a solid read, a good mystery, and it was written by Brian Bendis, who also wrote Daredevil: End of Days.

      Delete