Friday, August 9, 2013

Batcave? Fortress of Solitude? Avengers Mansion? No, Thanks - I'll Hang at the Comic Shop.

Best Part of Wayne Manor? Definitely the Basement.


So, I'm going to deviate from my norm here just a little bit (and apparently slip into '90's slang if my post title is any indication).  Normally, I'd talk about some comics or a graphic novel that I've read lately.  That's coming; I've got a few in mind and might even do one later tonight. However, I was thinking this week and realized that while I've talked comics, I haven't talked about something that's really key to comic culture - the local comic shop.

I realize that not everyone has one.  Some prefer to get comics through mail order or subscription services. Ebay has, literally, millions of comics for sale at any given time.  But I think that there's something to be said for going to the comic shop.

One thing that the Batcave could have used
I remember being a kid (it was a lot like now, but everything was taller and I had slightly less money) and riding my bike to 7/11 to pick up a comic book.  I still have the comics that I bought then - even the copy of Kindred #1 with the scuffed up cover that I was carrying when I fell off my bike (public service announcement: don't read comics and ride).  7/11 was okay, but the one spinning rack wasn't really a comic shop. When I could convince my parents to drive me, Graham Cracker comics in Bloomingdale (long gone - I think it's a Lou Malnati's now) was the first real comic shop that I ever saw.  It wasn't big, but it had racks across all of the walls filled with current comics.  The center of the store had an island of tables with boxes and boxes of back issues.  And, of course, the requisite 25 cent bin.

Potential Gold Mine or Waste of Time?
There is No Right Answer
It's probably been 20 years since I shopped at Graham Cracker.  It wasn't until a few years ago (with a renewed interest in comics) that I found some of the local shops around me.  It's amazing how little has changed.

I still love going to the comic book shop.  There's something about the smell of the newsprint, the shelves filled with colorful covers, and the stacks of old comics to dig through.  Sure, some things are different - there's more emphasis on gaming than I remember, action figures (collectibles) line some of the walls now, but the comics are still the star of the show.  But still, the comic shop is an experience.  And, for many comic book geeks, allows at least some less awkward social interaction.

My favorite shops are both in Schaumburg, so it's a little bit of a time investment for me to get there, but it's well worth it.  If you're looking to check one out, I'd point you toward either one.

Keith's Komix on Roselle Road is my most recent discovery.  Tucked away in a strip mall at the corner of Roselle and Weathersfield, Keith's storefront windows are decorated with lifesize superheroes in the window.  My kids love the opportunity to see the large Hulk and Thor as we walk in.  The set up at Keith's is one of the most spacious comic shops I've seen.  The store is larger than most.  With walls dedicated to comics, graphic novels, and gaming supplies, it seems unlikely that you would be looking for anything they don't carry.  Their back issue collection is also extensive with boxes upon boxes arranged near the back wall of the store.  The staff know their stuff and can help you out with most questions or requests.  I can't say enough good things about Keith's.

Dreamland Comics, on Schaumburg Road, just west of Schaumburg High School, is another favorite of mine, though construction has kept me from going recently.  While smaller, Dreamland is well organized and carries just about as many things as Keith's.  The real draw at Dreamland is the constant sale on graphic novels - typically 20 - 30% off cover price.  Dreamland also offers a great subscription service - 35% off cover price of any comic subscriptions (minimum 5 titles).  I've been using their subscription service on and off for a few years and have had no complaints.

The local comic shop used to be the way to get comics (short of actually setting up a subscription through a publisher).  As more mail order services pop up and digital comics become more prevalent, I'm not sure what the future holds for actual storefronts.  I have to think that they'll still survive.  They'll find a way to adapt.  After all, just as Batman needs the Batcave and the Hulk needs whatever ditch he happens to pass out in before turning back into Bruce Banner, comic readers need the local comic shop.

2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I don't know much about comics or comic book shops. But the way you describe it makes them sound like a neat experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, you've made these local comic book shops come alive to me through your detailed descriptions! Very clever and interesting way of drawing the readers in! Good work!

    ReplyDelete